Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lessons From the Leash...Random Roadside Toilets





Dear Sage, our rescue dog, has a real issue with fear. Basically he is afraid of...well...everything. We are not sure what the 1st 6 months of his life was like, but this dog came to us unusually frightful. Since a fearful dog is an unpredictable dog, I have been working with him quite a bit. Leash walking is excellent for exposing him to situations and helping to desensitize him. on one of our earliest walks, Sage couldn't even walk in a straight line. Don't think he'd ever been on a leash. Can you say "zig-zag"?. By the time we reached the end of the block, he had yanked my arm out of socket. Needless to say, our walk was not long. Later, however, he learned the art of walking in a straight line. He is flighty, though. If it weren't for the leash, he would be gone in a panic. One particular day we were walking through a familiar part of the neighborhood, when all of a sudden Sage panicked and tried to bolt. Then I saw the monster that startled him. It was a random roadside toilet sitting next to the road. He had rounded a large brick mailbox, when that porcelain monster scared him out of his fur. When he couldn't run away, he ran around...my legs that is. So here we were, all tangled up together unable to move away from the monster. I managed to step out of the leash and drag him away from the scene. Once out of sight, I comforted and reassured my silly, frantic dog. I laughed at him for several more blocks until God drew me a picture. How many times in my life have I bolted in my walk with the Lord. Fear has been my companion more times than I care to admit. I've missed some awesome blessings simply because I was afraid. Praise the Lord, He had me on a short leash. He had me. He still has me. He won't let me go. His Word is mine to comfort, reassure and lead me to my Promised Land. From 2001 till 2003 and even beyond, our international adoption journey was littered with random roadside toilets (okay, work with me here). Most days nothing was familiar. It was a road only accessible by faith. Also along the road were blessings that far outshone the toilets. God had us in training for such a journey as this. Every random roadside toilet that we come across is for our ultimate good and growth. May God continue to train us in the way we should go. And then, when He says, "Go!" we'll be ready. Learnin' to love the leash!

No comments:

Post a Comment